As quoted by the Building Commission: Every building project, no matter how big or small, carries some sort of risk. By using a Registered Building Practitioner, you are engaging a qualified knowledgeable and experienced professional.

Generally, if you undertake building work over $5,000 in Victoria or $1,000 in NSW then you will need to engage a licensed contractor and the first question you should always ask is “are you a registered Building Practitioner?”

A registered builder who specialises in Shed construction will offer you the benefits not just that of construction and concretors but also the engaging other trades such as electricians, plumbers, earthworks, plasterers, carpenters and painters. They will be the “one-stop-shop” and take care of all the hassle of building for you.

Engaging a registered builder also ensures that you have no liability should the unforeseen happen on your site. A registered builder is fully insured for:

  • Public liability – should a third party hurt themselves on your site during construction (this includes a visitor to your site).
  • Home Owners Warranty – if your project is more than $20,000 in NSW or $12,000 in Victoria the builder or tradesperson must give a certificate of insurance for HOW. This provides you with a set period of cover for loss caused by defective or incomplete work in the event of the death, disappearance or insolvency of the contractor.
  • Plumber Work (Victoria) – In Victoria it is mandatory for Shed Builders to engage or be a licensed Plumbing Practitioner if they are to install roof and storm water on
    your project. Victorian consumers have a high level of protection when they use the services of a licensed Plumbing Contractor – the insurance ensures that customers can take action should work fail to meet acceptable standards.

Further information can be obtained for NSW from and in Victoria from


Go to Step 6: Can you provide examples and building references of your work?